Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Listerv postings

First post:

Hi everyone,

This is my first time creating an original post, but I've been replying to your posts for a little while now. I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on whether or not French teachers whose native accent is something other than the "standard" Parisian French accent should make an effort to sound more international.

Having spent a lot of time in Montréal, my accent is that of a typical Québécois, and I find that some people (even people from France) have a hard time understanding me. I wonder if having a teacher from somewhere other than France can affect an English-speaking student's ability to understand mainstream Metropolitan French, and if so, how?

I would appreciate any feedback.

Merci,
Michael Lewis
michaellewis@mail.usf.edu


------------------------------------

Second post:

Hi Linda,

I agree that when pronunciation hinders learning, there is a problem, but on the other hand, exposing the students to different accents might be considered beneficial to them. As you said, though, it really depends upon what they plan to use the foreign language for. I posted a similar topic a few moments ago about French pronunciation in which I asked whether French speakers who don't have a "standard" accent should make an effort to sound more international or standard. I would like to know what you think, too!

Michael Lewis
michaellewis@mail.usf.edu


No comments:

Post a Comment