Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Listerv postings

The following are my two postings on the FLTEACH listserv:

Hi Josh,

I can sympathize with you. I know it can be difficult at times to think of how first year foreign language students in high school can be encouraged to use solely the target language. I can tell you from first-hand experience that it is possible! In one of my college courses, a retired instructor came to give a presentation to my class Secondary Foreign Language Teaching Methods class. At one point, he began speaking in German (and only in German). Most of had had little to no familiarity with the language, but we all completely understood his message because he made is comprehensible to us. He used familiar gestures, drew pictures on the board, and wrote some things down all while giving us his life story in the L2. So, when considering your Spanish 1 students, just remember the importance of comprehensible input. If you make it understandable to them using some suggestioned I just mentioned, they will have a blast and be amazed at how much they can understand. :)

Best of luck,
Michael Lewis

---

Bonjour Rebecca,

Thanks for sharing this information! The French culture has such deeply rooted etiquette rules and traditions, and because of this, as you mentioned, it is a great idea to set up some sort of social gathering to expose students to this sort of thing. The Web sites you provided are excellent examples of this. In my high school (when I was a student), my teacher would organize a "progressive dinner" each year. We would choose 3 students' houses, and the entire French club would meet at each one, the first house being for the appetizers, the second for the entrée, and the third for dessert. It's a great opportunity to showcase French food and to expose students to French table manners. To what you said I would only add that it is also a great chance for students to practice particular "language chunks" such as "may I have..." or "I would like..." and other dining-related phrases.

Merci !
Michael Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment